[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 25 02:34:51 UTC 2016

On 04/23/2016 07:37 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> On Saturday, April 23, 2016 07:07:29 PM R. G. Newbury wrote:
>

> > For whatever reason. I can go into system -> status -> autoexpire and
>
> > 'delete now' and at most, it will delete 3 shows. and no more.
>
> Then you have a bug. I'm not running 0.28 so I can't speak to it, but
> 0.20, 0.21, and now 0.27 have always deleted what I've asked to be
> deleted according to the settings I've used. Perhaps filing a bug
> report would be more useful to all than complaining about the devs
> getting it wrong for your particular use-case.

Or, quite possibly, you have a broken system where something other than
MythTV has deleted a recording file (or, likely, multiple) from your
disk and so when you tell MythTV to delete the recording, it won't
because there's no file--so it refuses to do the deletion without your
explicit override of the safety measure that prevents it from leaving
behind multi-gigabyte recording files when you delete a recording but
the file system on which the recording file exists isn't
mounted/available.  If that's the case and you keep trying to delete
shows from the Autoexpire tab, you'll probably eventually find another
non-orphaned recording that it will delete (just like the first 3 it
did).  The easiest way to clean up orphaned recordings is to use the
find_orphans.py script ( https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py ).
Alternatively, delete them (and say you really want to) in Watch
Recordings (
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_remove_recordings_that_no_longer_exist_on_disk.3F
).

Remember, also, that if you delete a not-already deleted (not in the
Deleted recording group) recording from the Autoexpire tab of the System
Status, it's simply moved to the Deleted recording group.  To remove
recording files from disk, you must delete the recordings from the
Deleted recording group.  Or, really (as mentioned before), you just
need to tell MythTV when to do it for you, and it will automatically
remove any recordings and recording files (assuming both are really
available) that are in the Deleted recording group

FWIW, there's no conspiracy and you have full control over the
recordings on the box.  The only thing that would prevent control over
the recordings on the box (i.e. their being deleted when you delete
them) is lack of knowledge of how to use the functionality/settings that
gives you that control.  MythTV doesn't impose any kind of nanny state
on anyone--and not just because no one is forced to use MythTV, but
because MythTV.  The only change to deletion from how it always was in
the past was to enable the Deleted recording group on every machine,
such that it can be used as a Delete queue--so that people could
actually delete recordings *now* even if they were currently in use (by
a transcoding or commercial flagging or user job or whatever), rather
than having to stop whatever process is running (and/or wait for that
process to stop or be stopped) before being allowed (really, before it
being even possible--for you or MythTV or the system itself) to delete
the recording.

Mike