[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Apr 24 17:25:44 UTC 2016

On 24/04/16 00:05, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> And this "feature" makes it nearly impossible to use the box for more normal things. You wil have to
> decide, a priori, how much space you will need, and tell myth to leave that much alone. THIS IS
> BACKWARDS. We are talking about recording TV!. If I decide to archive other stuff, and use up the
> space, that other stuff is likely more important that recording episodes of [whatever].

I would never dream of using the space which mythtv has access to for anything else. If I need X% of
a disk for storing other items I would partition it off beforehand so that myth never gets access to
it and potentially leave me with other potentially more valuable files tangled up in large numbers
of video files (and awkward to find and list).

Not to mention - video files are usually much larger than anything else I have to store. I can set
up mythtv partitions as LARGEFILES4 to benefit them and use smaller values for other partitions so
as not to waste space.

I wouldn't normally consider using the same /drive/ for myth and non-myth purposes. I don't like the
idea that something random I might be doing will interfere with a vital recording. In practice, I
don't even use the same /host/ since my master myth backend runs 24/7 and most other boxes have
different schedules.

> The thing is, I DO NOT WANT PEOPLE PLAYING NANNY FOR ME.  I don't care if the devs can come up with
> a system which they like and which "prevents" "mistaken" deletions. But I damn well want another
> choice which actually does what I tell it do, which is delete things NOW AND DO IT. Which the system
> does not actually do.

However, I agree with you on this point.

> The dev attitude is like the devs at Fedora and Ubuntu who will not let you log in as root "because
> you shouldn't do that"... I know that, but when I am setting up a brand new install it is damn
> convenient to be able to re-boot and log in as root. I do NOT need to told that I can't DO that,
> because I shouldn't do that so we won't let you.

And this one... which is why I use plain Debian. I have tried Ubuntu in the past and found most of
the overhead just plain unnecessary for a server.

Besides which, I'm an old enough fart to be comfortable logging in as root :)

--

Mike Perkins