[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Apr 23 23:05:09 UTC 2016

On 04/22/2016 05:14 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> I can't look right now, but I'm pretty confident there is a "delete
> expired items immediately" setting in the backend.
>
> Empty disk space is technically wasted disk space. Similar to how unused
> RAM is wasted.
> --
> Thomas Mashos

At the moment I'm running 3-4month old version of master and 'delete
immediately' DOES NOT WORK.

And NO, empty disk space is NOT wasted disk space, it is EMPTY SPACE. It
happens to be empty now, but may not be in a short time. And since it is
empty, to should be marked as empty, not marked as something else.

And empty ram is not wasted either. It is available for use, but not
being used at this point.

I understand that you think it great that the system will NEVER delete
anything until it has to. There is a word for people who do that in real
life with physical things:  hoarder.

We read about them being crushed by stacks of newspapers, and found 5
days later.

If *I* decide that I want to delete a program, the damn program should
not fight me. You may be right, that is is possible that I might change
my mind. Too freakin bad for me.

And this "feature" makes it nearly impossible to use the box for more
normal things. You wil have to decide, a priori, how much space you will
need, and tell myth to leave that much alone. THIS IS BACKWARDS. We are
talking about recording TV!. If I decide to archive other stuff, and use
up the space, that other stuff is likely more important that recording
episodes of [whatever].

The thing is, I DO NOT WANT PEOPLE PLAYING NANNY FOR ME.  I don't care
if the devs can come up with a system which they like and which
"prevents" "mistaken" deletions. But I damn well want another choice
which actually does what I tell it do, which is delete things NOW AND DO
IT. Which the system does not actually do.

The dev attitude is like the devs at Fedora and Ubuntu who will not let
you log in as root "because you shouldn't do that"... I know that, but
when I am setting up a brand new install it is damn convenient to be
able to re-boot and log in as root. I do NOT need to told that I can't
DO that, because I shouldn't do that so we won't let you.

</rant>

Geoff