[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 22 21:01:10 UTC 2016

On 04/22/2016 01:21 AM, Blammo wrote:

> So I went digging into mysql, and I may have stumbled across the answer:
>
> mysql> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM recorded where recgroup not like "Deleted";
> +----------+
> | COUNT(1) |
> +----------+
> |     1845 |
> +----------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM recorded where recgroup like "Deleted";
> +----------+
> | COUNT(1) |
> +----------+
> |     1028 |
> +----------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>

> What now?

You have seen the stupid and it burns. You actually have no control over
the recordings on the box, due to some really-off-the-wall-decisions by
some of the devs.

Myth does not actually delete things until it *has* to when it needs the
space. Even if you go into System status and spend eons pushing 'delete'
now, it does not.

The only way to actually delete the programs, and actually really see
what it in use on the disk, is to do it yourself.

You need to run a mysql script which (in pseudocode) goes something like:
select basename from recorded into outfile somefile where storagegroup
like "%Deleted%";

then, outside mysql, feed somefile into a script: while read line; do rm
-f $line; done < somefile
(once for each disk, as $line will exist on only one disk)

and then do the same in thing mysql: delete from recorded where
storagegroup like "%Deleted";

Why do I know this? Because housekeeping does not empty the trash and
that bothers me.
I like to have my database and my OS agree about things like this.

I know the reasoning of the devs and I think it misguided. It ONLY works
where the box is dedicated to being a mythbox, and even then it is
misleading and bothersome, to those of us who like to see what the real
situation is.

Think of it like the difference between the balance the ATM reports and
the reconciled balance with the outstanding cheques deducted.

Geoff