[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:57:21 UTC 2016

First off, thank you all for your assistance, both the direct and off-list,
the useful and the sarcastic... Ahh the joys of a public mailing list.

Now that understand has been achieved, a direct statement of problem would
have been "How do I delete 'deleted' recordings to free up disk space?"

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> Now you know.  And knowing is half the battle...  Everything is working as
> designed.  You're good.  Nothing needs to be done.

When MythTV needs the space, it will remove the Deleted shows from disk.
> If the space isn't being used for other recordings, there's no point in
> removing the Deleted shows from disk--doing so would only prevent you from
> rewatching--or deciding you want to keep--any of those Deleted shows.
> Unused storage is a waste.  Storage that's storing shows you don't
> necessarily need any more is actually less wasteful than empty storage.
> Empty storage can't be watched.  It doesn't provide any benefits at all.
> It's a bunch of nothing on your disk.  Previously-watched recordings are
> far more useful than nothing.

Perspective is everything.  Yours and mine are not the same. Space being
consumed by data I believed to be deleted, in some cases, years ago, is
wasteful and unnecessary.

I, like others, share disk between MythTV and other functions, in my case,
it's ZFS storage on a Proxmox cluster. Lots of reasons to -actually- delete
stuff when you're done with it...

Then (as I recently said in another post), "your disk won't be filled with
> unnecessary and unwanted data--it will be filled with empty space you can't
> watch when you have a friend over and say, 'Hey, speaking of which, I just
> watched this show that was about exactly that, but I deleted it so I can't
> show it to you. But, look at this--my disk is only 12% full!'"  But, if
> they re-air the episode in 5 years, you can call up your friend and say,
> "Hey, I just re-recorded that show I told you about in 2016, so want to
> come over and watch it?"

I'm ok with 1,800+ saved recordings instead of 2,800.. my friends will just
have to record their own TV. :)