[mythtv-users] MythTV connection from the internet

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Wed Apr 20 11:53:42 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:37:52PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
>
>> Stephan Seitz <stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
>>
>>> So I tried to open the ports to the backend for the frontend.
>>>
>> That's a really bad idea unless you can lock it down to only IPs that you
>> can be confident you control well enough to not "abuse" that access.
>>

> Yes, only the external IP of my client is allowed to connect.
>
> BTW - what version are you running ? There are differences in how some
>> stuff is accessed depending on version.
>>

> Ah, sorry, my version is 0.28.
>

> Shade and sweet water!
>
>         Stephan
>
> --
> | Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse at fsing.rootsland.net |
> | Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |

I can't help you with the configuration to get the mythtv frontend working.
I have tried various solutions, but never got it working. What I use
instead is my plex media server, that allows me to connect to all of my
videos on the go. There is a plugin for plex that creates a mythtv channel
and all of your recordings will be visible there. You cannot watch live tv
that way, but it does do transcoding on the fly, so you can get the best
resolution for your connection. Works really well.

Regards,

Andréas