[mythtv-users] MythTV connection from the internet

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Wed Apr 20 11:27:39 UTC 2016

On 20 April 2016 at 21:06, Stephan Seitz <stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Since my local internet connection has become fast enough I can connect to
> my MythTV setup via Mythweb.
>
> While this is working streaming recorded videos is no fun (linux clients).
>
> VLC allows me to jump in the stream, but the streaming is not stable. VLC
> is stopping, and you have to press play again and search your last
> position. This instability seems to be channel independant. Europsport (SD)
> is far more unstable than other HD channels.
>
> Xine is far more stable but is unable to jump to different positions. And
> if you have a long Eurosport recording chances are quite high that you’ll
> have an interruption.
>
> Besides that the „bookmark” within a recording created by the frontend is
> useless if you stream the content.
>
> So I tried to open the ports to the backend for the frontend.
>
> On the linux client I created a line in /etc/hosts with
> and opened the ports for MySQL 3306 and the Backend 6543.
>
> I told the frontend to connect to <host>.<domain> and the database
> connection is working. Problem: It tried then to connect to the backend
> with the private IP of the backend which is of course not working.
>
> Launching the frontend with the option „-O MasterServerIP=<host>.<domain>”
> gives me a working frontend. Fine, but if I want to watch a recording I get
> available. The IP of <host> can be found in /etc/hosts.
>
> Looking with Wireshark I can’t see any connection problems. So does anyone
> have a idea what is going wrong?
>
> Shade and sweet water!
>
>         Stephan
>

> You'd probably have better results with a vpn connection also the myth
protocols & mysql are not secure and should not be opened to the internet
or alternatively use a web based client, I really like the mobilemyth web
client http://www.mobilemyth.net/ works seemlessly over a LAN or wifi, I
haven't done very much internet streaming as my upload bandwidth does not
cut the mustard :(

Cheers,

Anthony