[mythtv-users] New HD recommendation

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:59:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> I may be recycle-gifted a decommissioned 15 drive array (each 2 TB HGST).
> Sounds cool, but I don't want to run them in their big wind tunnel rack, and
> so far I haven't seen any (currently available) consumer/small business 4 to
> 8 bay NAS that support SAS drives. Anyone have any suggestions in that
> direction?

If you choose wisely, you can pick up an older gen (often) LSI
sas controller that you can run in jbod mode(*) on the "new-to-you"
sites for less than $20, although the cables may actually cost
you more.

(*) You sometimes have to reflash the firmware to IT mode, but
there are sites which will provide the instructions.