[mythtv-users] New HD recommendation

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:06:01 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:05 AM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Backblaze has seen the best reliability with 4TB HGST drives, so that's what
> I use. You have it right on how to transfer the files.

Be aware that all these studies are statistical in nature, as
anyone who has run thousands of any drive in production
will tell you, and every model(*) has some failures.  You can
select to minimize the average failure rate, but individual samples
will vary (and since you do not likely buy in the thousands
like the big boys do, you likely care more about the drive
you bought than the average).

(*) And it is very much the specific model.  Every vendor
(including HGST and its predecessor companies) have had
specific models that were statistically horrendous.  If you
choose to use the Blackblaze information to guide your
decision, use the model info too (and as I seem to recall,
the specific 4TB HGST models were no longer offered for
(new) sale).