[mythtv-users] HVR-2250 Tuner Not Available

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 18 17:01:35 UTC 2016

On 18/04/16 16:41, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> On 16-04-17 04:35 PM, Barry Martin wrote:
>>
>> One thing I remembered while typing up there someplace is in MCC both
>> cards aren't listed.  Comes up fine _within_ #2 Capture Cards, but at
>> the screen which appears after selecting #2 Capture Cards I see:
>>      Capture Cards
>>      (New capture card)
>>      (Delete all capture cards on MythFE1)  [which is the name of the
>> Frontend portion, not the Backend portion]
>>      (Delete all capture cards)
>>      [DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0]
>>
>> Is that right or significant of something??  Not seeing the HVR1600
>> (adapter0/frontend0) listed seems odd, or (probably!) the first half of
>> the HVR-2250 (1,0) listed (in brackets, not parenthesis) might be trying
>> to tell me something.  (The second half hasn't been started.)
>>

> I agree that something seems miss.
>
> Since you mentioned that the HVR1600 is correctly set up and working
> then the HVR1600 should be listed as well (adapter0/frontend0).
>
> Unless.... perhaps the listed adapter1/frontend0 is actually your
> HVR1600 card?  Or perhaps adapter1/frontend0 is actually the first half
> of the HVR2250?
>
> If this is the case then it might be quicker to delete all tuners and
> start from scratch again.
>
> For reference my PVR with two HVR2250's shows:
>
>   Capture cards
>    (New capture card)
>    (Delete all capture cards on mythpvr)
>    (Delete all capture cards)
>    [DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0]
>    [DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0]
>    [DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0]
>    [DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0]
>

> It might be worth trying to add the second half of the HVR2250 so see
> what happens.
>

>> #4 Video Sources lists the HVR1600 and HVR2250a (again, the second half
>> hasn't been started).
>

> Video sources contains where the TV listings come from.  This is only
> tied to the tuner card if your are using an Over-The-Air antenna with
> EIT listings information.
>
> Do you retrieve the TV listings using an OTA EIT with antenna, or from a
> service like Schedules Direct?
>
> For reference my PVR lists my Schedules Direct entry (named HD Antenna)
> for my OTA Antenna:
>
>   Video Sources
>    (New video source)
>    (Delete all video sources)
>    HD Antenna
>

>> #5 Input Connections lists
>>      Input Connections
>>      [DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0] (DVBInput -> HVR2250a
>>
>> (The Channel Editor lists the stations found during the earlier scan
>> step.)
>>

> Input connections is where the tuner card is paired with a TV listings
> source.

(snip)

Not entirely correct. Input sources control more than where your listings come from. Each source
identifies not only a set of common channels which all tuners assigned to that source can tune, it
assumes that those tuners can be tuned using the same parameters.

For the purposes of argument a 'tuner' is a single device which can identify and receive a single
channel without being tied to any other device. The HVR1600 capture card is such a device; The
HVR2250 comprises two such devices. The two halves of the HVR2250 could, theoretically, be assigned
to differing sources if so desired.

Obviously, you can't mix analog and digital tuners in the same source, even if they can receive the
same channels, since they don't tune the same way - and wouldn't tune the same frequencies anyway.

--

Mike Perkins