[mythtv-users] HVR-2250 Tuner Not Available

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:50:42 UTC 2016

On 16-04-17 08:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 12:42 -0600, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>> On 16-04-16 11:37 AM, Barry Martin wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Fairly a newbie at all this. Creating a new Backend/Frontend
>>> (combination) using Mythbuntu 14.04. (Mythfrontend version:
>>> fixes/0.27
>>> (v.0.27-193-g8ee257c).
>>>
>>> Motherboard is a NARRA5 with AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-core processor; 8
>>> GB
>>> RAM.
>>>
>>> Combined Backend/Frontend (fix this problem and I'll get remote
>>> Frontends going!).
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Half-know the 'missing' tuners (2-4) are due to failed installation
>>> attempts
>>>

>> Yes, this is correct.  When I've wanted to get rid of these in the
>> past
>> I went into the backend and "deleted all tuners" regardless of
>> system.
>> This will give you a clean state to start with.
>>

>>> FWIW the “HardInfo” utility states the HVR-2250 card is SAA7164
>>> (rev 81)
>>>
>>> Have attempted to figure out what the problem is; Googling for
>>> “myth
>>> +tuner +'not available'” hasn't lead me to anything; those keywords
>>> here
>>> (search function) get ignored.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm not exactly sure what has gone wrong with your installation.
>>  I've
>> build three PVRs with dual HVR-2250 (not 2255) cards and these have
>> worked well for me.  I wrote a tutorial on how I did it.  Perhaps you
>> might review the tutorial to see if there is a step you missed.
>>
>> Installing Mythbuntu 14.04.1 with MythTV 0.27
>> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-
>> mythbuntu1404
>>
>> Curtis
>>

> I am running a 2250 card, and if I remember correctly I had issues with
> failed recordings and unavailable tuners. In myth setup the default max
> recording for the capture card was set to 2 and I changed it to 1 on
> "each card"
>
> I still have two tuners
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

Are you recording from an analog source, or a digital source?

The value of 2 (or higher) for the HVR2250 Capture card setting of "Max
simultaneous recordings" is to support digital multiplex recording.  It
only works with digital, not analog.  See:

Record multiple channels from one multiplex
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex

Curtis