[mythtv-users] One remote frontend can access Artwork, the other can't.

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 13:21:13 UTC 2016

On 17/04/2016 09:19, Damian wrote:
> On 16/04/2016 20:56, HP-mini wrote:
>>>>>>
>> <snip>

>>> Update: Some (strange) success.
>>>
>>> On the frontend, I noticed in ...
>>> Setup > Media Settings > Video Settings > General Settings
>>> ... that the top line, relating to videos, was empty. The rest of the
>>> lines were filled in with /home/tv/.mythtv/Video/xxxxxx locations.
>>> I decided to try emptying all of these lines, like the top line, in the
>>> hope that it would look to the sever, instead of 'home'.
>>>
>>> And it worked! ... Mostly.
>>>
>>> I can now see artwork etc, which is great. However, it's not using the
>>> 'folder.jpg' images as the image for each folder. It's using an image
>>> from one of the files within the folder instead. This is ok for now
>>> (I'm
>>> much closer to where I want to be), but I'd still like to get to the
>>> bottom of what's going on.
>>>
>>> The other frontend is working absolutely fine, and that still has
>>> all of
>>> those /home/tv/.mythtv/Video/xxxxxx lines in "Setup > Media Settings >
>>> Video Settings > General Settings"
>>>
>>> Does this progress point to the source of the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Damian
>> As you have nautilus access to backend storage we assume you have
>> shares..
>> It is (supposed to be) very bad to have the frontend mythvideo
>> (optional) paths overlapping with the backend storage.
>> You can still have private folder for each local frontend.
>>
>> Do you have some NFS/samba share that causes this overlap?
>> Maybe your share translates some filenames or only has partial overlap.
> Life's too short for this one :-)
>
> I've already spent more time on it than it would take me to wipe the
> frontend and start again from scratch. I think I'll do that and hope
> that whatever screwed up doesn't go wrong again.
>
> Thanks for trying everyone,
> Damian
It gets stranger ...

I just did a completely clean install of Xubuntu 15.10 on the frontend
that I was having problems with.

Added Mythbuntu. And, guess what. Everything is EXACTLY the same as it
'last' was. Even down to those "Setup > Media Settings > Video Settings
 > General Settings" lines all being blank, rather than the default ones
(what were 'initially' line the other frontend).

As first, I thought that I couldn't have wiped the OS, but I definitely
did. Clean OS. Clean Mythbuntu on top. This means than those settings
are stored in the backend somewhere.

So, I'm also guessing that whatever is causing the problem is also in
the backend?

It's not much of a problem any more, so I guess I'll just leave things
as they are. I just don't understand ..
a) Why aren't the the 'folder.jpg' images in the directories on the
backend being used for the folder art (as they are on the other
backends) and
b) Why did I need to empty those "Setup > Media Settings > Video
Settings > General Settings" lines when the other frontends work fine
with them.
c) Do these issues point to a bigger problem that I don't understand?

Any clues? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Damian