[mythtv-users] HVR-2250 Tuner Not Available

Barry Martin Barry_Martin_3 at Q.COM
Sat Apr 16 17:37:52 UTC 2016

Hi Folks!

Fairly a newbie at all this. Creating a new Backend/Frontend
(combination) using Mythbuntu 14.04. (Mythfrontend version: fixes/0.27
(v.0.27-193-g8ee257c).

Motherboard is a NARRA5 with AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-core processor; 8 GB
RAM.

Combined Backend/Frontend (fix this problem and I'll get remote
Frontends going!).

Some information from the Frontend System Info:

“Tuner 1 is not recording” = HVR-1600 digital portion – finally got it
to run and don't really want to delete and start over otherwise will
have another thread!! <g> At the bottom of the screen is “Tuner 1
[DVB:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0] is not recording”

“Tuner 5 in unavailable” = one half of the HVR-2250 (old, not the 2255).
At the bottom of the screen is “Tuner 5
[DVD:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0] is unavailable. (Figured why attempt
the other half until the first half runs.)

Half-know the 'missing' tuners (2-4) are due to failed installation
attempts

FWIW the “HardInfo” utility states the HVR-2250 card is SAA7164 (rev 81)

Have attempted to figure out what the problem is; Googling for “myth
+tuner +'not available'” hasn't lead me to anything; those keywords here
(search function) get ignored.

Some newbie-searching-in-the-dark stuff:

dmesg |grep saa ==> registered device vbi1 and vbi2 at end.

The Backend's #5 Input Connections second page: Input Priority set to 0;
Schedule Order and Live TV Order – have played with those numbers (but
not 0!) ==> unavailable.

nano /var/log/kern.log --- ummm... looking for 'error' and 'failed'.
Three lines about an ACPI error. (Googling – power management error in
BIOS.)

ls -la /dev/dvb ==> drwxr-xr-x 2 root 120 Apr 15 10:37 adapter0 (same
for adapter1 and adapter 2)

dmesg | grep 2250 ==> guess detected based on the 'registered' response,
above. At end of the line is [card=8,autodetected]

In my searches did see suggestions about delaying the start of the
Frontend, exiting and restarting the Frontend, but no idea how to do
that. (Read stuff about the Frontend loads too fast.)

So, sorry about too much junk up there; figuring I'll try to give
sufficient information to help receive an answer. TIA!