[mythtv-users] One remote frontend can access Artwork, the other can't.

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 16:58:03 UTC 2016

On 16/04/2016 09:37, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 16/04/16 01:11, Damian wrote:
>>

>> On 15/04/2016 22:29, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Hoi Damian,

>>> Is homeserver the name of your backend? Then at some place on the
>>> malfunctioning frontend you have used that name instead of the
>>> ip-address. Secondly your dns is not properly setup to translate this
>>> hostname to the ip-address.
>>> So either find the location where you used the hostname or correct
>>> your dns.
>>> Especially check ~/.mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> Thanks Hika,
>>
>> Yes, 'homeserver' is the name of the backend machine. I'm sure I set
>> up the machine just the same as
>> the other front end, which is working fine, but obviously something is
>> wrong. I will check
>> ~/.mythtv/config.xml tomorrow.
>>
>> I've also noticed that malfunctioning frontend can not delete videos
>> like the working front end can.
>>
>> I'm not sure why it should be a dns problem if one of the frontends is
>> working fine, but maybe
>> that's be me know knowing my stuff :-)
>>
>> I'll check the config file when I boot the machines up tomorrow.
>>
> It can be a DNS problem if you forgot to add 'homeserver' to one or more
> hosts files...
>
> DNS is network configuration, not mythtv configuration. Make sure all
> your machines can talk to one another, whether that is by using hosts
> files or some other dns resolver.

Thanks for helping Hika and Mike,

OK, this is starting to do my head in :-)

I can't see why both of my frontends can access videos and tv, but only
one of them can access the artwork and meta data.

I've just been over both of them, and as far as I can tell, the are set
up identically.

For the users called 'tv' (which is also the same for both machines),
~/.mythtv/config.xml is exactly the same, except for the <MediaRenderer>
section. Both reference 192.168.0.2 with the correct password, and both
of them are identical again to the file on the server too.

Also, I can access files on the server from both machines using nautilus.

What's going on???

Damian