[mythtv-users] Gentoo 0.28 ebuild

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 16:48:30 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> So, I'd be interested in what the mythtv developer intent is here.  If
> they really want to ditch the logserver I'd prefer not to build it
> unless it is unavoidable (eg they're going to replace it with
> something else but haven't done this yet).

Caveat: the following is my interpretation, and not any sort
of official word....

The mythlogserver (idea) has a lot going for it, but.....
It is my understanding that due to the known "issues" with
the logserver, and the lack of current developer support
(the initial dev that implemented is no longer active in the
project, and it is not something that is likely to get high
enough in the TODO list of the other devs), and that a
(partial) new approach is sitting in a branch (although that
too is no longer being actively worked on due to various
resource constraints), that the conclusion one should
reach is that mythlogserver is on life support, available
for building for those that absolutely positively want it,
but just as with Xv support, just because it has not been
ripped out (yet) from the code base does not mean
anyone is likely to invest substantial effort in fixing it.
"He's dead, Jim".