[mythtv-users] Gentoo 0.28 ebuild

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sat Apr 16 12:21:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody looking into 0.28 ebuilds for gentoo?

I pushed 0.28 to the tree, masked.  I fixed the systemd units, but the
init.d script probably needs a bit of tweaking as the logserver is now
deprecated in 0.28.

I currently have the ebuild set to not build the logserver at all,
which is the upstream default.  If for whatever reason we want to
enable it I'll need to add --disable-logserver (or whatever the exact
syntax is) to the systemd unit - the option name changed regardless.
Passing it without logserver support built-in is an error, and I'm not
sure what the default of this flag is (if it defaults to disabled even
if built then the systemd unit can stay as it is).

I'm not sure how they intend logging to work without systemd.  It
seems like upstream is moving in the direction of only supporting
logging to console.  We could enable the logserver and have it output
to a file or syslog as before at least for the moment.

In any case, I left it masked since the openrc scripts could use a bit
of work and I didn't want anybody to be surprised.

I'll happily take bugs with updated+tested openrc scripts if cardoe
doesn't get to it first.  As soon as the ebuilds are working for
everybody we'll unmask them, but as long as you mind the logserver
issues I found that 0.28 works just fine.  On systemd everything
should work just fine out of the box.

I also bumped mythweb to 0.28, and it is mostly working.  I left it
masked because for me the recorded program list is having some kind of
problem:
htdocs/mythweb/modules/tv/recorded.php, line 80:
!!NoTrans: gmp_add(): Unable to convert variable to GMP - string is
not an integer!!

If anybody knows offhand what the long-term goals of the mythtv devs
are around logging please feel free to point me to them.  A major
update like 0.28 is a good opportunity to get re-aligned.  For systemd
we're just using the console logging (and I moved to sd_notify as
well).  For non-systemd users, what is considered the mythtv
recommended way of getting logs?

--
Rich