[mythtv-users] ECS Liva BAT-MINI v1.0 Still OK as a FE?

Thomas Pontoppidan spamt at pontoppidan.name
Tue Apr 12 06:40:21 UTC 2016

> On Mon, 2016-04-11 at 08:01 +0200, Thomas Pontoppidan wrote:
> >         On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 6:10 AM, David Whyte
> >         <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >                 G'day all,
> >

> >                 My FE  (circa 2004 Pentium M with Intel graphics) is
> >                 ready for replacing and I have seen good things about
> >                 the ECS Liva line and they seem quite cheap...unless
> >                 you live in Australia.
> >

> >                 Luckily, I am in the US this next week and thought
> >                 about picking a couple up.  Through unfortunate
> >                 timing, the Liva X on newegg seems to have increased
> >                 considerably in price in the last week.
> >

> >                 I have found some of the original BAT-MINI ones at $70
> >                 delivered (to the US) though on eBay.  Are these still
> >                 recommended by those that have them?
> >

> >                 Regards,
> >                 Whytey

> >         The short answer is yes. People still recommend them.
> >

> >         The Intel graphics are the only con I can recall, and even
> >         then it is only a matter of personal preference. Since you are
> >         accustomed to Intel graphics, you should have no issue. There
> >         may have also been some initial configuration difficulties
> >         mentioned and solved in the past.
> >

> >         -Tom
> >

> > It may be just me, but I never managed to solve the config
> > difficulties on mine. When it runs it runs great, but I have two
> > annoying issues when switching on my TV (the Liva is on 24/7):
> >
> > 1) Screen resolution: Either Mythfrontend only fills 1/4 of the screen
> > or it is over the borders. Restarting the frontend solves it
> > 2) Audio is often missing. Sometimes solved by a frontend restart, but
> > not always. Starting Kodi (and shutting it Down Again) is the only
> > consistent solution I have found
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Thomas
> >

> 2. Have you tried cycling thru the audio tracks (in playback) with the
> "-" key?
> Does this only happen with multichannel pass-thru (AC3 etc) over HDMI?

I can't say for sure because I mostly use the FE for recording, but it
seems to affect all content. I have not tried cycling through audio tracks
(mostly recordings only have one).
I have had general problems setting up the audio and I believe I have only
ever gotten stereo output working in Mythtv (and yes, it is over HDMI).