[mythtv-users] Xenial mysql 5.7 update

jksjdevelop jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 17:04:43 UTC 2016

Help please.
I have been running 0.28 on Xenial for a couple of weeks without any
probs. However Xenial updated mysql to 5.7 yesterday which has created a
few issues.
Mythweb has an issue https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12713
The main problem however is that the root password cannot be null and
user passwords timeout after 360 days.
I can't find a way that works to get in as root so trying to reset the
root password.
Following the script at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/resetting-permissions.html

Stopping the server with
     sudo systemctl stop mysql
then running the script
ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'MyNewPass';
by putting the above in file mysqlreset.txt and then :-
sudo mysqld_safe --init-file=/home/laptop/mysqlreset.txt
sudo systemctl start mysql

The above generates no errors but just does not work - any ideas?