[mythtv-users] mythbackend hanging with busy disk

Jeffrey Ratcliffe jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:32:09 UTC 2016

On 7 April 2016 at 14:56, Roger Siddons <dizygotheca at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> What version are you running ?

Mythbuntu 14.04 0.27.4+fixes

> And what is your Idle Timeout set to ?

5min

> Are you using EIT ?

Yes.

> Is mythfilldatabase running at the time in locks up ?

Looking in the logs, the only mention of mythfilldatabase are entries like this:

Apr  6 15:45:57 pan mythbackend: mythbackend[2403]: I CoreContext
housekeeper.cpp:582 (RegisterTask) Registering HouseKeeperTask
'MythFillDB'

but they say nothing about the task actually running. Which log entry
indicates the task being run?

> Worth investigating SQL - the scheduler may be struggling to create
> temporary tables. Refer to https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12314

Running mysqltuner was an interesting tip.

> If it's predictable (and you have plenty of disk space) you could run the
> backend with "-v scheduler" logging to see what is really going on. Why are
> your logs in syslog though ? What distro are you using ?

They are also in mythbackend.log, of course, but the advantage of
looking in syslog is that you can see possible interaction between
myth and the rest of the system.

> Looks like you're on 0.27. You could also try 0.28 as there have been a
> couple of changes in that area (although they look unrelated).

Has 0.28 been released yet? I tend to be a bit of chicken and wait a
couple of months after release before using a new Myth version.