[mythtv-users] mythbackend hanging with busy disk

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 7 12:56:08 UTC 2016

On 06/04/16 18:30, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:

> Therefore, I don't have any other option but to pull the plug, count
> to ten, and reboot. Afterwards, looking at /var/log/syslog and the
> list of recorded programs, I see a 0-length recording and:
>
> Apr  6 15:53:32 pan mythbackend: message repeated 102622 times: [
> mythbackend[2403]: N Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2771 (HandleIdleShutdown)
> Blocking shutdown because a recording is due to start soon.]
> Apr  6 15:53:37 pan mythbackend: message repeated 11096 times: [
> mythbackend[2403]: N Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2771 (HandleIdleShutdown)
> Blocking shutdown because a recording is due to start soon.]
> Apr  6 15:53:45 pan mythbackend: message repeated 20943 times: [
> mythbackend[2403]: N Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2771 (HandleIdleShutdown)
> Blocking shutdown because a recording is due to start soon.]
> Apr  6 15:54:37 pan mythbackend: message repeated 120254 times: [
> mythbackend[2403]: N Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2771 (HandleIdleShutdown)
> Blocking shutdown because a recording is due to start soon.]
>
> This may be a red herring, but why would the message be repeated so many times?

What version are you running ?
And what is your Idle Timeout set to ?
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_General#Shutdown.2FWakeup_Options

Are you using EIT ?
Is mythfilldatabase running at the time in locks up ?

Worth investigating SQL - the scheduler may be struggling to create
temporary tables. Refer to https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12314

If it's predictable (and you have plenty of disk space) you could run
the backend with "-v scheduler" logging to see what is really going on.
Why are your logs in syslog though ? What distro are you using ?

Looks like you're on 0.27. You could also try 0.28 as there have been a
couple of changes in that area (although they look unrelated).