[mythtv-users] Why do I see moving bars at top of picture?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 7 02:39:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:58:12 -0500, you wrote:

>I have noticed for some time now that my recordings from US HD cable
>(TCM channel) almost always has a few pixels width worth of moving black
>bars. They did not used to be there. My assumption is they are some sort
>of time-code or EPG info, or some such that we are not supposed to see.
>
>My flow is to record with Myth, trim the junk from the beginning and end
>using Avidemux and then convert to .mkv with Handbrake. I have done this
>since 2013, but somewhere in the past year these bars started showing up
>which are about 4 pixels tall. I'm can't give my Handbrake script a
>fixed crop size since not all TCM movies are the same size. I'm not to
>thrilled about adjusting this for each movie.
>
>Thoughts?

Complain to whoever is providing the TCM channel.  It is as broadcast.
The usual reason is that they have misadjusted something in creating
the files for broadcast, and are including something like the Teletext
subtitle data in the video being sent, when they should have been
separating that out and putting it in a separate subtitles data
stream.