[mythtv-users] lirc working in mythtv but not xine?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:10:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 1:29 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/16 01:23, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hm... looks like it doesn't find the socket. As of 0.9.2, the handling of
>>> the  socket path is far from consistent in ircat.
>>>
>>> Looking at the code it looks like 0.9.2a support the LIRC_SOCKET_PATH
>>> environment variable to determine the socket used. What happens if you
>>> set
>>> this to the socket path you are using before invoking ircat?
>>>

>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> --alec
>>
>> Excellent suggestion! That at least got ircat working:
>>
>> export LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd
>>
>> ircat mythtv
>> Esc
>> Esc
>>
>> ircat xine
>> Quit
>> Quit
>> Quit
>>
>> Based on the remote key I was hitting, both of those are correct.
>> However the fact remains that the remote isn't working in xine. Really
>> odd...that's even more evidence that it should be working.
>>
>> When something runs out of mythtv using xine, the xine program ignores
>> the remote. I have even less of a clue why now.
>>
>> Thanks for the ircat tip however!
>>
> Actually, the routine used by ircat to open the socket is the same as used
> by the application library i. e., it might make3 sense to use
> LIRC_SOCKET_PATH also when running xine. Did you try  that?
>
> BTW, the state of the  0,.9,2 docs on this issue is embarrassing.
>
> Cheers!
>

> -alec

What do you know...that did it. Getting it properly set within my
frontend was a little confusing, because I launch my mythfrontend
(running within fluxbox) directly from /etc/inittab using a line like
this:

c8:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin mythtv tty8

It took me a while to figure out that I needed to set that
LIRC_SOCKET_PATH in the mythtv ~/.xinitrc file...but yea that did it!

I find it highly strange that I had to do that however and that
something there wasn't smart enough to use the default socket path.
That seems just a little nuts.

Thanks for the help!
Tom