[mythtv-users] lirc working in mythtv but not xine?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:44:18 UTC 2016

I've got one I can't figure out. I'm running Gentoo. The current
versions of lirc in Gentoo are pretty old, and I wanted to use a newer
version with the built in kernel support as opposed to the old drivers
in lirc itself. In my case this is using lirc-serial. I actually got
that working fairly easily and it's been working for mythtv just fine.

However I just discovered that it no longer works in xine which has
always worked for me. I just don't use xine too often so I hadn't
noticed. When I open a file type from mythtv that I have configured to
use xine, it works but doesn't appear to be using lirc at all. The
lirc support is still compiled into xine.

When mythtv starts I get this in /var/log/messages:

Apr  3 13:13:08 mythfront lircd-0.9.2a[975]: Notice: accepted new
client on /var/run/lirc/lircd

I don't even see any such thing being attempted when I run xine. Note
that in both cases the programs are being run as the mythtv user.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only permissions issue that would
tend to affect this is the lirc socket, correct? That's clearly fine:

ls -al /var/run/lirc/lircd
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Apr  3 09:57 /var/run/lirc/lircd

My /home/mythtv/.lircrc is the same as it's always been...a link to
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc with all the correct xine entries.

I have no idea how to even debug this. I read about using ircat, but I
can't get that to work for anything...even for mythtv which is clearly
working. I get this running ircat as the mythtv user for either xine
or mythtv:

ircat xine
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory

ircat mythtv
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory

I have no clue that that means but it clearly doesn't appear to be
meaningful with mythtv working perfectly. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tom