[mythtv-users] Nova-TD tuning problem in kernels after 3.2.0

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Sat Apr 2 18:07:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (precise) with up-to-date MythTV 0.27 from the mythbuntu ppa. My tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-TD Stick, which is a USB dual DVB-T tuner.

All works fine with the 3.2.0 kernel, which is the latest "normal" kernel for Ubuntu 12.04. However, if I try later kernels, such as are available by installing the linux-generic-lts-quantal (3.5.0), -raring (3.8.0), -saucy (3.11.0), or linux-generic-lts-trusty (3.13.0) packages, I have tuning problems.

Specifically, if I just upgrade the kernel and do nothing else, only a very few recordings work, the rest being zero bytes. If I try rescanning after upgrading the kernel, it finds a couple of hundred "conflicting" DVB channels (rather than a couple of hundred non-conflicting channels if scanning in 3.2.0), and the transport frequencies are different to what I see in 3.2.0, and don't seem to work.

So far, I've tried a couple of time (backing up my mythconverg database beforehand) and have had to reverse back to 3.2.0 with a database restore, as I haven't had time to investigate further in a limited time window.

Has anyone seen this, and got a fix? I imagine it's the sort of thing other Nova-TD users might have seen when upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 or later versions.

Note that I haven't actually tried a full Ubuntu upgrade to a later version, just tried the kernel upgrade, which I did as a quick and easily reversible way of seeing how a full Ubuntu upgrade might perform.

John