[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:50:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I was referring to playback and huh, I didn't think about Plex or Kodi
> for Linux.

Right now, the only client (on any platform) for the DVR is Kodi
(originally stated to be a prototype for their recorder as much
as anything else).  No protected content playback currently on
any platform.  I would expect that the prototype Kodi app, along
with the current native Android VIEW app, are very good hints at
the eventual user experience to be gotten with the eventual native
apps supporting live TV, and playing recorded content (including
protected content) and setting recording schedules.  On the
kickstarter pages there was also a reference to an intent to
make available (but not committed) a Linux client for unprotected
content.  Perhaps they meant Kodi, but I remember reading it
and thinking it meant a native (type of) client.  Not surprisingly
(to anyone who does software), they seem to be a bit further
behind in software development than they appear to have wanted
to be at this point (or at least hinted at in the way I read the
original kickstarter schedules).

> It looks like the early adopter software is available for purchase;
> maybe I'll download it when I get home and see what happens.

Yeah, they recently opened up the "progress build" level from
their kickstarter to all.  For $60 (and if you have a SiliconDust
tuner, and a system to store some recordings) you, too, can
evaluate/play with the Kodi client.  Looking at alternatives (and
learning the good and bad in them) and (re)evaluating ones
requirements and how those alternatives fit them, is something
everyone should do on some regular basis.  And while I am
not one of those that think Kodi is the cat's meow, those that
do might even find the HDHR DVR a viable alternative today,
even in the current progress build state.

btw, one short reminder: MythTV expects the tuners defined
to it are dedicated.  If you try to run both the HDHR DVR
and MythTV against the same set of tuners, your SOAF
will likely drop.