[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

John Moore (Insight Global) v-johmo at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 29 20:04:12 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Eric Sharkey
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:31 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 3:21 PM, John Moore (Insight Global) <v-johmo at microsoft.com> wrote:
> As much as I like hosting my MythTV server, there is something appealing about the HDHR DVR solution.  I could justify the cost with getting to keep my MythTV Server and purchasing the DVR if there were some bonuses which could be useful.  Maybe such as the ability to minimize the MythTV to a Atom Proc server and keep the work load on the DVR.  Where users could interact with MythTV which would control HDHR DVR.
>
> And so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has played with it yet.  Maybe I will blaze the trail this time.  See how my budget looks.

It seems like such a strange idea.  I keep feeling like we're talking past each other.

What do you mean by "MythTV which would control HDHR DVR"?  Are you envisioning a MythTV frontend plugin for watching HDHR DVR recordings similar to what Silicon Dust is planning with Kodi?  Or are you thinking of some sort of method for making the HDHR DVR look like a slave backend?

Eric

I am not a wizard when it comes to media.  So you will find that I most likely wont be using the correct terminology.  So let me see if I can break it down and express my concerns as a user.

Currently I have a P4 3.2G proc machine with 8Gb of ram running a MythTV server in standalone.  And this computer has six 1TB drives in a RAID 10 array.  And it appears to me that the whole Idea of watching 2 recorded programs, recording 2 channels, and having 1 live TV stream is a lot of load.  With my prime setup, I had 3 turners.  Tuner 1 was Live TV only.  Tuner 2 was Live TV, but could be yanked for Recording at any time, and Tuner 3 was only for Recording.  (Thanks to all of you for explaining priority settings)

What MythTV does really well at (IMO) is categorizing and organizing media.  As well as scheduling.

So if MythTV could just redirect the client wanting to watch live TV directly to the HDHR tuner that has been designated for Live TV and not have to burden the load of incoming signal from the turner and redirecting it to the client all while recording and transcoding in real time.  That would be a performance savings right there which would result in the need for a smaller server.  Then What if the MythTV didn't have to burden the load of transcoding and recording all the TV as that was being handled by the HDHR DVR.  All MythTV had to do was have a killer Hard Drive setup to take in the media.  In my above example, the only thing remaining for MythTV would be the need to supply content to the 2 people watching recorded media.

Currently, if I watch LiveTV on MythTV, that program gets recorded.  Which really makes no sense to me.  If I want to watch live TV, why not just have my client be directed to the tuner directly and cut MythTV out.

Again, the main theme here is a solution where people goto 1 spot for everything.  That the whole idea of MythTV.  But as a consumer and a user, we also want simplicity and seamlessness.  Which has never been MythTV's strong point.  And the whole idea of minimizing the computer foot print has become more of a priority to the home computer scene.  If HDHR DVR can burden the load, why not let it.  Why not allow mythtv to be ran seamlessly on smaller hardware.  Or even VMs.

My 2 Cents

John Moore

BTW:  the HDHR DVR purchase price is $60.  At that cost, I bought it.  I will fill everyone in on my thoughts as time moves on.

mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users at mythtv.org