[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:16:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but HDHR DVR supports copy protection, so you can
> record things like HBO and Showtime, while Myth can't.

Well, there is the analogue hole.

> This would be a
> compelling reason to use the HDHR DVR over MythTV. But I don't believe
> there's Linux software that supports the HDHR DVR, is there? It's Windows,
> Mac and mobile only?

Playback of protected content is going to be limited to those solutions
that provide a certified "protected path".  That limits one to the usual
suspects/platforms that provide it.

If one wants to record/play back protected content in "full" resolution
(not using the analogue hole) in the US, the providers STB, WMC, TiVo,
or the (upcoming) HDHR DVR are the known consumer options.