[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:41:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:13 PM, John Moore (Insight Global)
<v-johmo at microsoft.com> wrote:
> That's kind of the point.  I have owned a Prime box for 6 months now which I cannot use as I don't have cable.  This situation has forced me to look at other solutions and options to explore.  As a result, I stumbled across the HDHR DVR which can be used with the PRIME as well as the CONNECT (a non-cable card tuner) which is able to be used with a Digital Antenna.  First I was unaware if Prime could be used with out the cablecard.  It appears that it requires a cable card to be installed in order to be used.

No, it can be used without a CableCARD on providers that do
clear QAM, but those are becoming more and more rare, and
regardless one has to maintain private mappings of the station
to channel/program transformations, so most of the time it
is going to be "easier" (not always cheaper) to get a CableCARD.

> The main question I have at this time, which would explain the subject line, is to determine if anyone has utilized the HDHR DVR with a MythTV box?

It simply does not make any sense in practical terms.  While
I suppose one could have the HDHR DVR record, and than
manually move recordings to MythTV, why would you want to
do that when MythTV supports the same tuners as the HDHR
DVR (and, from the question, it seems you want to use MythTV).

While MythTV, and WMC, and TiVo, and the providers STB
and the HDHR DVR are alternatives (rather than "competitors"),
they do/support different things.  You likely need to evaluate
your requirements before you go shopping for technologies.

> Since they are similar devices and really don't need one when you have the other.  But if the HDHR DVR can be used in conjunction with the CONNECT and a antenna to create a better experience with MythTV, then that is something I want to know.

MythTV can use the CONNECT (or the predecessor named
products) also, if you are moving to OTA.

As to whether the HDHR DVR is "better", again, you have to
define the requirements.  There are certainly some that want
an integrated solution for all their content, not just TV (and
you mentioned media, which is more than just TV), and the
HDHR DVR is about TV (not music, not photos, not your
front door camera video).

Nothing is going to really help with DirectTV (which you indicated
you moved to) other than the HD-PVR analogue hole hack, which
is supported by a limited number of solutions.  There is certainly
no hint on the SD web site that there are any plans to support
US satellite providers with the HDHR DVR (those providers have
a completely closed eco-system) either soon, or ever [I would
expect a solution only when/if all providers are required to support
recorders using (something like) VidiPath/CVP2/DTCP-IP].