[mythtv-users] Transcoding/Export userjob script

William Jacoby bonelifer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 00:19:40 UTC 2015

On 9/27/2015 7:08 PM, Kevin Wisher wrote:

> I was under the impression that mythexport was dead? Yes, I am using
> Ubuntu so I will look into your suggestion.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Sep 27, 2015 8:01 PM, "Anthony Giggins" <seven at seven.dorksville.net
> <mailto:seven at seven.dorksville.net>> wrote:
>

>     On 28 September 2015 at 07:07, Kevin Wisher
>     <kevin.wisher at gmail.com <mailto:kevin.wisher at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Commflagging is happening at record time on all my recordings.
>         For the recordings I want to export I will do a manual edit to
>         insure accuracy. This userjob will be ran manually on specific
>         recording that need to be exported for family & friends.
>
>         Handbrake is not essential, I just need a working solution.
>
>         On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 4:03 PM, John Pilkington
>         <J.Pilk at tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>
>             On 27/09/15 14:59, Kevin Wisher wrote:
>
>                 Hello All,
>
>                 Longtime Myth user, new to the mailing list and
>                 forums. I am looking for
>                 suggestions for a userjob script to transcode
>                 recordings to remove
>                 commercials, rename the file to something user
>                 friendly, and then either
>                 using ffmpeg or handbrake to format the file for
>                 mobile devices.
>
>                  From my extensive Google searching, this site has the
>                 best example for
>                 what I want to accomplish,
>                 http://tech.surveypoint.com/posts/mythtv-transcoding-with-handbrake/.
>                 am not dead set on using this specific users script
>                 but I cannot get it
>                 to work and would appreciate any help to make it work.
>                 I am open to any
>                 other solutions to accomplish the same end result.
>
>                 I found a forum post related to this script here:
>                 https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=80
>
>                 My modified script:
>                 http://dpaste.com/146YRSC
>
>                 Thanks for any help & suggestions.
>

>             Hi:  First - two related posts from you have appeared, but
>             aren't threaded.  I guess that's because gmail doesn't
>             show you your own posts.
>
>             Any script doing what you want will have to use several
>             tools, and a failure in any of them will make the entire
>             thing 'fail to work.'
>             To get help you'll need to give more details of how it's
>             failing.
>
>             I don't see a command in your script that will run
>             commflag before attempting to generate a cutlist from the
>             results.  You'll have to ensure that commflagging has been
>             done first, and that you trust the results.
>
>             I can't comment on the HandBrake commands (I've never used
>             it), or the way the commands are passed to MySQL.
>
>             John P
>

>     If you using ubuntu try mythexport, sure work on other distro's
>     but I dont believe its currently being packaged.
>
>     I find that the quality from handbrake is much better then the
>     default profiles, here are some instructions to setup handbrake
>     profile for mythexport but just change Normal preset to whatever
> [...]

If you could create a post of your own on the forum I can help.  The
biggest problem is "--gencutlist" is actually recreating the cutlist,
since you are already doing commercial detection as part of the
recording profile and then fixing the edits, you are actually
over-writing the work you did with a new auto-generated cutlist. I have
a lot going on in my script such as sending a message to my
GrowlForWindows instance that could be cut out of the process.