[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Power Adapters

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 01:37:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Scot Kreienkamp <skreien at wcnet.org> wrote:
> I need to order a new power supply for mine... anyone know of a source for a
> good quality replacement?  I tried one off ebay and it lasted for 2 months.

Do you have the specs for the barrel connector?  I am partial
to Delta Electronics(*) brand switching power supplies, and I
tend to use the ADP-10SB Rev H for my common 5V 2A needs
(it does not hurt that a local surplus store had (at one time) dozens
available NIB surplus units at a very low cost (~$6 if I remember
correctly), so I picked up a few for immediate use, a few as spares
just in case (never needed as spares, since none have yet failed
me, but I have used the spares for new devices (I replace most POS
bricks supplied with consumer devices proactively)).  A quick online
check shows a few sources:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1955642_-1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Electronics-ADP-10SB-REV-H-AC-Adapter-5V-2A-w-out-Power-Cord-/171336825847?hash=item27e4787bf7

(be aware some offshore suppliers may not source the real thing,
and there are some other variants (non rev H) that have different
form factors or power connectors.  The rev H uses the standard
C13, and (I think) rev F uses a mickey mouse C7, and (I think)
rev B is direct plug-in for NEMA 1; choose wisely/carefully (and
remember other than the rev B, you have to provide/purchase the
power cord)).

As with all else, your specific experience will vary.

Gary

(*) There are many good suppliers of power supplies/bricks/warts,
and every supplier has bad samples/designs, but Delta Electronics
has a long history of being in the top tier for their own branded
devices (they will also build to order/price for some OEMs, which
may have better/worse components), so I have mostly stuck
with them (sometimes I will pick up a TDK-Lambda supply if they
are available/appropriate for my needs).