[mythtv-users] Restoring backup to a new backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 24 16:55:28 UTC 2015

On 09/23/2015 08:16 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> I *think* you can skip the `mysql -u root < mc.sql`, if you are
> passing --create_database option to mythconverg_restore.pl, but it has
> been a long time since I did this.

To skip that, you'd need to use a MySQL user that has permissions to
create the mythconverg database.  Generally, on a "blank" (just
configured/enabled and never-had-a-mythconverg-database-in-it MySQL
server), that would mean running the script and letting it use the MySQL
root user.  However, you'd still need to create a mythtv user later, so
it's probably best--on a system that's never had a MySQL user for MythTV
configured--to run mc.sql.

Note, though, that many times packages will create MySQL users for
MythTV.  If they do, you should not run mc.sql.

>   You can always play with it until you get it right.  If you need to
> start over, just pass both "--drop_database --create_database"
> to mythconverg_restore.pl.

Agreed.  The hard part, though, is not messing up the
account/permissions on your MySQL server--where not messing them up
tends to require knowledge of how your distro/packages create and
maintain MySQL users (and, possibly, how/whether they create a MySQL
user for MythTV).

Mike