[mythtv-users] Restoring backup to a new backend

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:52:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM Paul Stillwell <bigboi at wackywombats.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to build a new backend system. I backed up the database and
> then saved it on an external drive. I then installed a new hard drive and
> installed Fedora 22 and then installed mythtv from RPMFusion. I read this
> link
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration#Building_a_new_backend_to_replace_an_existing_machine which
> basically said all I need to do after installing myth is to restore the
> backup. I tried to restore the backup with mythconverg_restore.pl and I
> get an ‘Unable to connect to database’ error. Do I need to run the restore
> command with the —create_database option or should I do something else?

Yes, you would need to create the DB.  Also, if you have not done so, you
need to get mysql daemon up and running -- set the password, etc. before
the restore script will be able to write to the DB.

For example:
mysql> create user 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' identified by 'mythtv';
mysql> set password for 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' = password('mythtv');
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' identified by
'mythtv';
mysql> flush privileges;

Also remember to run (at least for Fedora):
$ mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql --user=root -p mysql
to get the timezone configured correctly.

John