[mythtv-users] MythTV and IPV6

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:31:31 UTC 2015

On 09/23/2015 11:03 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I'm afraid tunnelbroker.net irritates me somewhat. If my ISP already provides IPv6, why would I want to complicate matters by going to some
> access point in the US? Almost every single HOWTO out there says, "first, get an address from Hurricane Electric." I don't need to do that, I
> need to know how to configure my LAN.

Ah, though you were asking from a MythTV perspective. In *buntu,
I just used existing tools to add the ULA. The easiest (but some
remove it) is Network Manager. It has an IPv6 tab. Or, if Network
Manager isn't installed and /etc/network is used, then my IPv6 portion
looks like this:

     [ipv6]
     method=manual
     dns=fe80::2aa:bbff:fecc:ddee;
     addresses2=fdf9:a:b:c::d/64,fe80::2aa:bbff:fecc:ddee

Where the Link Local address (fe80::.....) is that of my router.
Link Local addresses are generated automatically by any compliant
system. Your router should display it somewhere.

You can make the ULA up or use the tool on the Wiki I posted
earlier.

For other distributions, I can't help.

You don't need a global address. My ISP, for example, was allowing the
use of 6to4 protocol, but after about 2 years removed it. Now only
business customers can get globally routable IPv6 addresses, e.g.
2001:db8::1.

--
Bill