[mythtv-users] MythTV and IPV6

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:06:56 UTC 2015

On 09/23/2015 08:47 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
> Has anyone on the list moved to a full IPV6 deployment with MythTV? Any learning's, advice or recommendations you can give?
>
> I have had IPV6 on my 'to look at' list for a while - but the more I learn about it the more I wonder if it is better to just wait it out for now. I don't have a lot of experience securing Linux machines so tend to rely (rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly) on a big firewall at the first router point. However with IPV6 (as I understand it) every machine becomes exposed to the internet. Mythweb is the obvious target in my mind being a http service but I wonder what else may need additional protection on the backend and remote frontend machines? Is a standard iptables setup sufficient?
>
> Essentially I was just interested to hear of other peoples experiences so far?

Not "full", but mostly. I wrote this when IPv6 was introduced (and
haven't updated it much.) https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Enable_IPv6

I chose to use a Unique Local Address because it's like the
IPv4 Private Network address. ULAs aren't globally routable.

There are still some things that require an IPv4
address, a tablet app for me. But for watching
recordings/videos and using WebFrontend/mythweb,
IPv6 works.

To answer later replies, 0.25 is when IPv6 became available.

And I do use a firewall, even though no self respecting router
should pass a ULA. But it's the *buntu UFW tool on my backend.

--
Bill