[mythtv-users] MythTV and IPV6

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 14:27:07 UTC 2015

Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone on the list moved to a full IPV6 deployment with MythTV? Any learning's, advice or recommendations you can give?
>
> I have had IPV6 on my 'to look at' list for a while - but the more I learn about it the more I wonder if it is better to just wait it out for now. I don't have a lot of experience securing Linux machines so tend to rely (rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly) on a big firewall at the first router point. However with IPV6 (as I understand it) every machine becomes exposed to the internet.

I am running IPv6, but only IPv4 for Myth - I'm on 0.24.1, at what version does Myth support IPv6 ?

You are correct that going IPv6 "exposes" addresses to the internet - but some of us work with IPv4 like that (at work I manage multiple servers on a /24 public IP space). As long as you have a firewall with a default policy of "block inbound connections" then it's not much different to running IPv4 in terms of security.

I would suggest signing up at https://tunnelbroker.net and running through their certification program. It has not "official" status, but just working through it will force you to find out a lot of stuff - which I've mostly forgotten the details of, but it's important to know of it's existence if you know what I mean.
It's also a fairly easy way of getting online with IPv6 if your ISP doesn't support it - that's how I'm online now.

If using GNU/Linux as your firewall (or at least your IPv6 router, it doesn't need to be on the same router that you connect to your ISP with), then Shorewall has an IPv6 version (imaginatively called shorewall6) which will simplify the setting up of your IPv6 firewall.