[mythtv-users] OT: default routes

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:57:38 UTC 2015

Hoi John,

> Hi Hika,

> from your first e-mail you said, "I need my first connection because it has
> a solid IP to connect to by
> VPN "

> from my understanding you have 2 internet connections.

> 1.) original slower one with fixed IP

> 2 ) new faster one with changing IP.

> you would like to use the fixed IP for you VPN traffic and the faster one
> for web browsing / everything else.

> The problem is you want a roaming VPN client (the laptop) to connect from
> any IP,  but web browsing / everything else to use the other connection.
> Therefore normal routing rules will not work.

> Solutions are.

> 1) 2 routers, one for each connection. (you may be able to visualize this
> and only need 1 box.).
> 2) you may be able to do something with iptables (not sure how at the
> moment.)
> 3) create a custom script / web page that when you first try to connect
> with your laptop to the VPN a custom route is created on the router, and is
> deleted sometime after the VPN tunnel ceases.

> John

Yes, only number 3 is not going to work, because as long as the
default route on the router points to the new modem/router it seems no
connection build up is possible. I guess because the router sends its
answer through the wrong connection. So I somehow have to convince the
vpn server to not use the default route.
Option 1 is very possible and actually simple. I can connect the new
modem/router direct to the network and change dhcp to tell all clients
to route there. But I do not want that. I do not want a router
supplied by a provider and guaranteed to have hidden backdoors directly
connected to my network. That's next to the VPN server and my
separated test network mainly why I'm running my dedicated router.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop