[mythtv-users] [Bulk] Re: Mythnews disappears and Music schema update notice

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Sep 23 08:47:29 UTC 2015

On 23/09/15 08:55, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Here's the thing...removing mythweather, music and news doesn't delete the
>> corresponding tables, even if you use purge in apt-get.
>> So when you reinstall and fire up the frontend, it gives the same
>> complaints about the tables.
>> HOWEVER, if you drop the tables after purging and reinstalling, the
>> frontend log complains it can't find the tables in order to upgrade them.
>> So purging/reinstalling doesn't seem to recreate/initialize the tables.
>> I gotta sleep...but I appreciate your help. Hopefully you and others will
>> see the issue and I'll fight the good fight when I wake up.
>> Thanks!
> I'm surprised! I would expect the same proces that caused the problem
> to recreate the tables. How then if you add a plug-in to a running
> system? Normally on a fresh or updated system the frontend when first
> run does this!

Each plugin has it own schema version and we store the version in the
settings table so for MythNews it's  'NewsDBSchemaVer'.

The database upgrade code looks at the schema version in the settings
table and only attempts to update it if it is lower than the actually
schema version.

Assuming no update to the plugins was performed this looks like a DB
corruption problem of some sort so running optimize_mythdb.pl would be a
good idea.

If you have dropped the MythNews table you will have to remove the
'NewsDBSchemaVer' schema version setting in the settings table to get
the plugin to recreate the tables.

Paul H.