[mythtv-users] Machine hung -- lists of recorded programs and upcoming recordings empty.

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 02:49:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> As happens infrequently, when I tried to turn on the backend this evening
> I found the machine hung. I see my wallpaper, but there is no response to
> keyboard or mouse. Also, I could not SSH in from my laptop nor see MythWeb.
> When this happens the only alternative is to manually shut down the box and
> restart it. Most of the time this works fine. Infrequently (relative to the
> already infrequent need to go through this) when the box restarts the fan
> goes to high speed and stays there. After a "restart" from the shutdown
> menu the box will restart and the fan will return to normal. Tonight I had
> to go through the "restart" procedure twice in order to get the fan to go
> quiet. I don't know if this is a red herring or not, but I throw it out
> there in the interests of more information might be helpful.
>
> The real problem is that when I started up the frontend and stepped
> through the screens to the list of recorded programs, that list was empty.
>
> I also used my laptop to look at MythWeb. The listing tab still has all
> the channels shown, with my favorites filter engaged. But the Upcoming
> Recordings and Recorded Programs tabs are empty, except for the page
> headers.
>
> I'm running:
> MythTV Version : v0.27.5-4-ge2a11c9
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
>
> /var/lib/mythtv has12 .mpg files with numbers for names. Some of them have
> two .png files associated with them, some one .png file
>
> One example:
>
> 1067_20150918053000.mpg
> 1067_20150918053000.mpg.-1.100x75.png
> 1067_20150918053000.mpg.png
> 1
>
> Any clue what happened, and, more importantly, how to fix it so the front
> end displays those files?
>
> Thanks for any help.

You need to check on the database. Make sure mysqld is running. Check in
mythweb > settings > database and see if it needs to be repaired. If you
can, log into mysql and check the recorded table manually to see if
recordings are listed. Check mythbackend log and syslog to look for the
hang and damage caused.