[mythtv-users] UltraHD

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Tue Sep 22 02:44:16 UTC 2015

On 09/21/2015 02:35 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> ... You may not feel a
>> compelling reason to upgrade, but if you do need a new panel, it would
>> be insane not to at least consider one at 4K.  I wouldn't buy anything
>> less today.
> Well, it depends.  I agree for "programming"/"desktop" usage
> (i.e. "up-close") 4K can be a wonderful upgrade.  But unless
> you are going to also upgrade a lot of eyeballs (or you are
> Ted Williams) at the 10 to 15 foot distance of most (non-80")
> TVs, one cannot discern the difference (there is a reason
> showrooms have you walk up to the screen to see how
> much better 4K is, and at one foot, it really can shine).
>
> And for "programming"/"desktop" monitors, the 4K monitor
> I want with the required GPU (PLS/IPS, 60+Hz refresh,
> capable of driving the entire display via one connection
> rather than two (i.e. HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.3)) is not yet
> affordable (for me), especially since I really want (at
> least) two monitors.
>
> Others may have different compromises (or larger slush
> funds), so yes, consider a 4K monitor, but be sure you are
> going to get what you think you are going to get and can
> tolerate.

Things I learned from an LG 49UB8500:

49" is not too big for a desktop display.

Check the specs carefully! Just because it claims to have all the features you want, does not mean it is possible to use all of
them without changing the wiring of the system. The LG49UB8500 has HDCP 2.2 on HDMI port1, CEC and ARC on port 2, and 4k/60
4:4:4 on port 3. Since I need 4k/60 4:4:4 for my computer I must connect to port 3. You might think I could connect the computer
directly to port 3, and my surround receiver to port 2 and use the ARC for audio, but you would be wrong. All of the HDMI inputs
on this television only support 2 channel stereo sound. So, with this setup, I can't use the ARC, CEC, or HDCP 2.2

ARC is limited to stereo, or 5.1 lossy compression (same limits as SPDIF).

Passive 3D does not work very well on 4k displays. The rotational polarisers are far enough in front of the imaging layer of the
LCD display that halving the vertical spacing means that because of parallax, if you are close enough to take advantage of the
resolution, you will get ghosting on the top & bottom of the display. You would have to sit twice as far away from this display
to avoid the parallax problem than you would with a 1080 display.

The light source on this display has a hard mask at the edge, and the light source is several mm behind the imaging layer. When
sitting at a reasonable distance from the display to take advantage of the resolution, the edges of the display get clipped due
to parallax, it looks like the display is over-scanned, even though it is not.

MythTV does not like 4k/30. The sound got badly out of sync.
MythTV is quite happy with 4k/60.

A 4k monitor is great for looking at pictures I took with my digital camera (gthumb version that came with linux Mint, newer
versions of gthumb have been butchered by the gnome people (stripped of useful features, ruined gui, etc. just like they did to
everything they have touched recently)).