[mythtv-users] MCE remote after 0.21 -> 0.27 upgrade [SOLVED]

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:37:17 UTC 2015

> On Sep 16, 2015, at 7:49 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> On Friday, September 11, 2015 11:30:57 AM Alec Leamas wrote:
>>
>> The first step is to instruct the kernel module to send the IR input to
>> /dev/lirc0 instead of /dev/input/X. This is a big change, the data on
>> /dev/lirc0 is not decoded in any way, it's just the space/mark durations
>> received. This is what ir-keytable -p LIRC  (or the echo ... thing)
>> does. From this point, there is no data available to anyone except on
>> /dev/lirc0[/longer explanation]
>>
>> Next step is to instruct lircd to fetch the data from /dev/lirc0. This
>> is done through the two options --driver=default and
>> --device=/dev/lirc0. This works, since this is what we test with mode2.
>> Give the same options to lircd (using lirc_options.conf).
>>
>> The third step is to give the right decoding info to lircd so it knows
>> how to translate the timing info from /dev/lirc0 to keypresses. This is
>> where the mceusb.lircd.conf comes into play. Just drop it in
>> /etc/lirc/lirc.conf.d/ (you might want to remove other files there).
>>
>> At this point you should be able to test by starting the service and
>> using irw. If ot doesn't work, the most plausible reason is that the
>> config file is broken somehow.
>>
>> In case of problems, don't forget to check the logs: journalctl -b0
>> /usr/sbin/lircd.
>
> Success! In that irw gives me
>
> 000000037ff07be1 00 KEY_UP mceusb
> 000000037ff07be1 01 KEY_UP mceusb
> 000000037ff07be0 00 KEY_DOWN mceusb
> 000000037ff07be0 01 KEY_DOWN mceusb
> 000000037ff07be0 02 KEY_DOWN mceusb
> 000000037ff07bb9 00 KEY_TV mceusb
> 000000037ff07bb9 01 KEY_TV mceusb
>
> but only if /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf is all commented out. I thought I messed up my configs so I deleted them and did a dnf reinstall lirc-core.
>
> No irw response. So I commented out the whole file and it works.
>
> Then I wonder if "effective-user" is the culprit and just comment that out and it works.
>
> So I guess I need /etc/udev/rules.d/60-lirc.rules and after enabling that it works. I thought I read that it wasn't necessary in some latest release of lirc.
>
> Some putzing with ~/.mythtv/lircrc (I made more mods than I realized) and I'm back to normal! Only a month+ after I started. Fortunately the kernel layer was there to backstop so I could watch football, though if it hadn't I would have been more motivated to solve it sooner. :)
>
> I think what happened in my migration is that I didn't have the udev rule in place. Then I asked for help and blindly put others' configs in place and flailed away, not looking at my logs enough. Nor understanding how all the pieces fit together after so many changes to how things used to work. At various points I was Real Close to a solution, but with so many potential knobs to twiddle I missed what looks very obvious now. I did learn a lot though, in corners of the Linux ecosystem I've never needed to look.

> [...]

I also have MCE remote receiver with an ECS LIVA( only usb3 ), and am wondering what your current configuration is and whether you had to patch the kernel or not. I wound up giving up on the MCE remote when I ran into the troubles like you did and getting one of the FLIRC remotes. I would like to give it another try given you success with it.

The FLIRC is an interesting device. I trained mine using an old BluRay remote and have FLIRC put out the keyboard keys that mythtv likes. I then told my Harmony Smart control remote that mythtv was the old BluRay player.

Regards

Jay