[mythtv-users] Recording profiles

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:47:24 UTC 2015

Hoi Christopher,

> Hi,

> First I'd like to say thanks for all the answers on the Atom
> question!

> I have a question about how MythTV applies recording profiles. My
> setup has three tuners: An HD-PVR connected to my Cable box, an
> HDHomerun connected to the cable naked, and an HDHomerun connected to
> an antenna in my attic. As I said before, I get about 300 channels on
> HD-PVR, about 30 on the cable-connected HDHomerun, and about 5 on the
> antenna connected HDHomerun. For this question I only care about the
> HD-PVR.

> Regarding recording profiles: Does MythTV use any of the program guide
> data when it decides what profile with which to record? I ask because
> my cable provider: CableVision/Optimum iO, just performed a major channel
> reorganization that replaces HD content with SD where that is
> possible. This is a great thing for the normal user but for MythTV it
> may kindof suck depending on how Myth chooses to record content. The
> issue is that Schedules Direct still shows the content as SD. If Myth
> uses SD vs. HD to setup the Hauppage HD-PVR before recording then my
> HD recordings may suffer in quality.

> Here's what happens: I'm close to New York City so local broadcast
> channel 2 is WCBS. I used to receive WCBS content on two channels: 2
> and 702 from CableVision. Channel 2 was Standard Definition and
> Channel 702 was High Definition. After the reorg channel 702 shows a
> message that says: change to channel 2. And channel 2 shows WCBS in
> high def. The crux of the issue is that Schedules Direct says that
> channel 2 carrys WCBS-SD and channel 702 carries WCBS-DT. Unfortunatly
> this is technically correct. I have a cablecard connected TiVo (which
> I'm trying to replace with MythTV) on as far as the cablecard feed
> goes 2 is SD and 702 is HD. There are several channels that are like
> this, WCBS is just an example.

> When I talked to the Schedules Direct people they indicated that they
> don't think that they need to change their lineup data but they don't
> think that they need a new lineup that references the cable box
> situation. I can whack the channel guide information on myth but that
> solution is brittle.

> If myth used the same recording profile for SD and HD content I could
> live with the fact that my recordings aren't marked HD. If they used
> different profiles but it's configurable I'd prefer to change that
> configuration rather than go with the more brittle solution of
> modifying 200+ xmlid's in the channel information and hoping I never
> have to use the automatic options in mythfilldatabase. I could be off
> base here though. It's possible I'm not seeing a simpler better
> solution to my problem.

> I appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts and ideas here!

> Thanks,

I'm not exactly sure what you want and what is possible with schedules
direct. But a few month ago I wrote a small script as spin-off from my
dutch grabber, that adds or removes the HDTV taggings from a xmltv
listing. You have to be able to save your schedules direct data as an
xmltv file, pass it through my script and import it with
mythfilldatabase like:
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file --xmlfile ${xmltv_file} --sourceid $1

You can find this script at: https://github.com/tvgrabbers/xmltvtools

If the output contains more then the programlistings, it might not go
good, but then, if you want this and supply me a sample of what you
can output, I probably could do some small adjustments.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop