[mythtv-users] Intel Atom backend?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 15:41:45 UTC 2015

Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> +1 for the HP Microservers. My always on backend runs on one
> of these and they are pretty quiet and can take 4 HDD's.

5 disks if you use the 5 1/4 bay at the top - though I've heard reports that the controller for this is lower spec than for the 4 caddy bays, and annoyingly the SATA cable isn't included

> I've not had any problems due to DB activity like the previous
> poster.

How much RAM do you have ? I've 2G in mine which I suspect might be a bit light for some operations - though it never swaps, I suspect it could always use more cache space. Certain operations will cause a bit of stuttering in playback (on remote FEs). I suspect it's the combination of disk activity and CPU usage as (especially at the end of recordings) it does all the maintenance and rescheduling that goes with it.

I suspect version may make a difference - I'm still on 0.24.1 on the basis that it isn't broken so I shouldn't "fix" it.