[mythtv-users] Intel Atom backend?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Sep 16 13:11:05 UTC 2015

On 9/15/15 6:35 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> The hard drive in my backend is starting to die. I'm plan to replace
> with a cold spare tonight. I'd like to replace it with an SSD but the
> motherboard in my backend is so old that SSD is unsupported. Thus, I'm
> considering an Intel Atom Motherboard for use as a backend. I'm in New
> England so electricity is pretty expensive. A low power motherboard is
> almost a must.
I'm also in New England, and went with an Atom motherboard for my
backend last year. I had no issues recording two HD-PVR streams and at
least one HD-Homerun stream at the same time. This was on a 6-disk RAID
6 array.

The only time I had any problem recording was during a weekly "scrub" of
the RAID array, which needed to be run with lower priority than normal
to avoid saturating the SATA bus. That's because my particular
motherboard was only SATA II.

I've since upgraded to a newish, low power motherboard with SATA III and
an AMD A8-7600. The energy consumption is about the same as before, and
there's more CPU grunt.