[mythtv-users] Intel Atom backend?

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Wed Sep 16 08:06:11 UTC 2015

---- On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 01:31:01 +0100 Eric Sharkey<eric at lisaneric.org> wrote ----
 > On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Saul <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:35:57 -0400
 > > Christopher Sean Hilton <chris at vindaloo.com> wrote:
 > >> Can I get a Core i3, i5, or i7 to do this job with really low? <= 40
 > >> watts idle, 100 loaded?
 > >
 > > I have i3-4130T, it is 35 W under load. I haven't done any recoding,
 > > but considering how well it compiles (Gentoo) I'd say it beats Atom
 > > hands down.
 >
 > The i5-4570T is also available at 35W if you want a little more oomph.
 >
 > If you want lower cost and lower power, the Athlon 5350 quad-core is only 25W.

I'm going to throw in the Intel Pentium into the mix. i run the G3240 model (dual core 3.1ghz, 54w) but since it runs idle, actual draw is much less. the current pentiumscan get 35w 't' models (http://ark.intel.com/products/family/29862/Intel-Pentium-Processor#@Desktop).

i chose it as i didnt really see the cost benefit in going for a i3/i5 but definitely wanted more grunt than an atom.
the primary function of my home server is mythtv, but virtualbox, zoneminder, file share, rtorrent, all run on it and it doesnt struggle with any of it.