[mythtv-users] HD-PVR strangeness and "new high-speed USB device" messages

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Sep 14 22:46:58 UTC 2015

> I just bought an HDPVR the other day, and have been watching the power-supply problems threads with interest. The box has a sticker reading "USE ONLY THE POWER SUPPLY PROVIDED!" which I presume with all-caps and and exclamation point is meant to be Really Important. :) Is there something special about a "USB wall wart" that makes it necessary over any wall wart I might have in my bag of left-over warts that would match the specs on the one that came with the box?

Not particularly.  The typical target audience for the product tends
to be far less sophisticated than MythTV users, and most won't know
what "5V" means, let alone "2A".  And believe me, there are plenty of
people out there that will plug in any wall wart that has a connector
that fits the HDPVR without understanding the implications.

To make matters worse, the HDPVR 2 went to a 6V power supply, so they
likely wanted to make sure users weren't assuming that even all
Hauppauge bricks were the same.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs