[mythtv-users] VCT_ID Change in Champaign, IL

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Sep 10 19:08:29 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-10 7:05 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:40 AM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
>> I haven't researched/sorted which one I should use yet.
> None?
>
> The VCT_IDs the system uses for their DTA mapping
> should be transparent to your CableCARD.  I am not
> sure what scan you used, but a HDHR Prime with
> CableCARD does not need any regular channel scans,
> and as I recall that location has Comcast, which means
> there is no clear QAM (except for the barker ("you need
> a box") and the emergency alert system channels).
>
> Or maybe I am confused as to what provider you are
> using or what tuner you are using.

When I set this up, I followed the directions available at the MythTV wiki...

Since then, the cableCard was added when clearQAM went away.

So you're saying I don't need to do anything to make sure my myth database has the right channels in it as the channel numbers change?

(I'm not sure they have - this all started with my system not tuning to a channel trying to watch live TV. and I've also had some recording fail apparently... as the channel seems to be untuneable.)

With that, isn't checking the available channel listings available in my area the whole concept behind the  scanning process with the VCT_ID?

(and I am on comcast - but have the minimum basic package that's just local OTA)

As another data point, they recently (apparently) added the music channels to my package. I'd like to add them to Myth so I can at least tune to them with liveTV.

(unless someone has a good reason that's undesirable)

  -Ben