[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Sep 2 13:28:25 UTC 2015

On 9/1/2015 6:41 PM, Roger Heflin wrote:
> Kirk,
>
> You *MUST* have an adjusted kernel to make certain USB devices work on
> Liva.  There was an earlier post about this with this link on it:  It
> is a pain, it may be a kernel bug the notes I originally found this
> info from was from someone elses kernel patch.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/587930?search_string=jerry;#587930
>
> Jerry used the directions I worked out on mine and that also fixed
> his.  There is something funny in the kernel in regards to it appears
> some usb (possibly usb1 low speed) devices on the usb3.  On the liva
> both ports appear to be controlled by the same usb3 chipset so both
> ports have the issue.
>
> Without the patch I was getting completely different garbage each time
> pushing the same key.

This is my second Liva. On my first Liva, I am using an *ancient*
Microsoft branded USB IR receiver. It totally works with LIRC and the
stock Fedora kernel. No questions asked. I've got the unit serving us in
the bedroom now and it works great.

My original question was, what commercially available IR receiver are
you using with Myth now? I guess I should have asked what is available
that works with standard Linux distros and LIRC? Because right now this
Chinese unit clearly isn't. Alec has given me a work-around that sounds
like it *should* work. But so far that isn't helping.

My other generic MCE receiver that works under CentOS 6 and it's older
kernel seems to have stopped working under the 4.1.5 kernel of Fedora 21
too.

I bought an HP IR receiver on Amazon hoping it would work. When it
failed like this one I threw it in the trash. I probably should have
held on to it so I could try these work arounds. but man, that felt *good.*