[mythtv-users] partition names

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 21:33:53 UTC 2015

> On 31 Oct 2015, at 8:32 am, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hoi Daryl,
>
> Friday, October 30, 2015, 10:24:06 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Greetings Mythizens, In the same way that I have my storage drives named
>> /media/storage and /media/storage2, is it OK to name my OS partitions
>> /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6, and my swap /sda5?
>
>> I've set up a second OS partition and copied my original "fstab to the
>> second partition's /etc and now realize that the UUID is incorrect. So when
>> I correct that can I safely give names to other UUID's?
>
> Oh and in fstab you can use the literal name or LABEL=<the disklabel> or
> UUID=<the UUID> you can find the actual names with the blkid command
> see: man fstab
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

I'm quite confused as to what the intent / reasoning would be for this? Naming the OS partition as a device would seem to be obscuring it. Surely a name like 'Ubuntu Myth OS' would be more useful. Not sure it's a good habit to be using device names when not dealing with the hardware (ie when using the file system mount point).

I couldn't see how /dev/sda6 was at all similar convention to /mnt/storage.