[mythtv-users] remote display from frontend

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Oct 27 20:46:14 UTC 2015

Thank you, Mark Boyum, for the tip about the sound.  I'm not sure what I
need to do to make the changes take effect; the configuration file is
called daemon.conf, but I don't see a pulse daemon on /etc/init.d.

On pulse: the system did not have it installed initially--and I didn't get
any sound.  After I installed it I did get sound.  I can think of 3 reasons
this might have happened:
1) installing pulse caused the installation of missing parts of the sound
system, like alsa;
2) VirtualBox needs pulse to make sound available on the host system;
3) Since my host is using pulse, the virtual machine needs to as well.

I know there were a lot of complaints about pulse a few years ago, but I
thought most of the kinks had been worked out.

On the resizing issue, what I was thinking of was being able to grab and
resize the window myth is displaying in.  Does "Use GUI size for playback"
do that?

Some of the argument against specifying settings on the command line seems
to be that myth will then ignore it if you attempt to reset the values.
That seems like very non-standard behavior.  If I specify the geometry for
an application that doesn't prevent me from changing it later in most
applications.

Ross