[mythtv-users] mythbackend.log is buffered?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 26 21:15:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/26/2015 01:04 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>>
>> This is what I've been given for Myth from the RPMFusion packages. I think
>> the 'nocreate' option is what is not creating a new log file, unlike every
>> other logfile on any of my Fedora systems. Not sure why it's there, except
>> maybe it's expected that the restarting mythbackend will create it. Is that
>> the logic? Is there a reason I shouldn't remove that option?
>

> There's probably a nocreate option because the file system permissions of
> the log file must be set to something different from what would be set if
> created by the user running the syslogd application.

logrotate's "create" option has parameters to specify the permissions,
owner, and group for the log file.  If you really wanted logrotate to
create a new log, empty log file, that's not a good reason not to do
it.

In fact, the only reasons I can think why you would want logrotate to
create the file would be if you wanted it to set ownership/permissions
differently than the application would, or if for some reason the
application cannot create its own log file.

In most cases, nocreate should be just fine.

Eric